Important Investment Property Insurance Tips
Posted on 06 November, 2017
A large number of Australians are attracted to the residential property investment market because of the substantial financial returns that are well within reach in this relatively safe environment.
This is largely because the property market is considered a wise investment when compared with traditional investment options that can’t match the leveraged growth potential of residences in prime locations over a prolonged period of time.
Residential property investors often use their properties in one of the following three ways:
- For their own use as a holiday house.
- As a full-time rental property for suitable tenants.
- As a part-time seasonal rental and for their own use on a part-time basis when it’s not rented out.
Extra Insurance Coverage for Property Investors
When a property is being used for any of the above-listed purposes, investors need to be aware that a standard home policy might not provide the coverage they need for proper protection.
Some common exclusions for investment properties in standard home insurance policies include:
- If the property is left unoccupied without approval from the insurer for longer than the standard period of time defined in the owner’s policy, the cover will automatically be restricted to a basic level.
- If the property is leased full time to tenants, then a standard home policy does not cover certain risks relating to the tenant’s occupancy. Some examples of this are: Default of Rent, Deliberate or Malicious Damage, Theft by the Tenant, and Tenants’ Pet Caused Damage. For proper protection, these specific risks will need to be insured under a Residential Landlords’ policy.
- If the property is leased on a part-time basis to tenants for short stays, particularly during peak tourist seasons, many landlord insurers will not cover the owner for tenant-related claim events. However, cover for these types of risk is available for the short term through specialist landlord insurers, such as Rent Default. This cover can also provide protection for additional risks like drug-related cleanup and garbage removal.
As you can see, securing the right investment property insurance involves a lot, which makes undergoing this task by yourself difficult. Donnellys have been guiding residential landlords through this process for more than 40 years. Contact us for assistance in obtaining the best value residential landlord property insurance today!
Posted on 22 December, 2018
‘tis the season to be jolly…so make sure your home is safe, secure and you are adequately covered over...Read on
Posted on 27 November, 2018
If criminals in balaclavas and clichéd Hollywood computer hackers are among your greatest concerns for the cyber safety of your...Read on
Posted on 15 November, 2018
From typical property damage and liability risks like slip-and-fall and equipment breakdown to less common ones like food-borne illnesses,...Read on
Posted on 15 November, 2018
Generally, when you own your own home, taking out insurance on your property is something that is done without...Read on
Posted on 27 June, 2018
This month, the Donnellys team delve deeper into our Car Insurance series, and detailing in greater detail exactly what...Read on
- December 2018
- November 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- April 2016
- October 2015
- June 2015
- October 2013
- March 2013
- April 2012
- February 2012